Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Year In Review '17

slovak folk patterns - Google Search 

I was feeling a bit blog-ish tonight (yes, I believe I invented that word), so I thought to myself, "Why not strike while the iron's hot?"  A positively smashing idea on my part, undoubtedly ;)

Truth be told I was scrolling through my reading list on my blogger dashboard, feeling somewhat wistful and dreamy, and I happened upon Abby's post in regards to hopes for the coming year, I felt compelled to follow suit in my own little way.

These are some of the questions that she included.

What did you do in 2017 that you'd never done before?
 Rode a Ferris Wheel!  

I Absolutely LOVE Ferris Wheels,I can set and watch them for hours,especially at night..when they shine so bright! :)

 Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make new ones?
I've never really been one for making resolutions, or at least not the usual kind people seem to expect.  I'm not saying those kind are bad, not at all, but I guess I just prefer to look at them as goals or opportunities for betterment. With that in mind, I want to make my focus this year more or less the same as last: To live every moment of my life as the gift that it truly is, to remind myself of this in moments when I forget, and to help others see life as a great treasure, too.

 Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my favorite sister had a baby in the spring, making me a proud auntie! 

My little Hummingbird in her new Christmas bonnet ♥

 Did anyone close to you die?
A great-uncle.

 Which countries/states did you visit?
 Let's see, no international borders were crossed, unfortunately.  Sorry to disappoint!
As for states, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and for the first time ever, New Hampshire!  I would love to add Maine to my 2018 list but I can't really see that becoming a reality.

I love New England
♥ Home sweet home ♥

 What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
My very own lighthouse.   Maybe a slightly clearer future?  On second thought, I'll just look for another lighthouse.

Portland Head Lighthouse  Museum in Cape Elizabeth Maine--this is almost the exact painting I inherited from my grandma.
Portland Head Light, Portland, Maine.
I think I'd like to write a story about this place.  Thoughts?

 What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory?
 Ooh, January 22nd!  But I'm not telling why...

 Did you move anywhere?
If living with my favorite sister and wonderful brother-in-law in NY for two months counts, then yes.

 What was the best month?
 Hard to say... March? April? October?

 What was your biggest failure?
Not making prayer my first and strongest refuge.

St. Ephraem of Syria on praying makes us more virtuous

 Did you suffer any illness or injury?
 A few more colds than usual but I'm still breathing.

 What was the best thing you bought?
 Probably my laptop since it's come in handy for schoolwork, writing, and this very blogpost you're (hopefully) enjoying :)  

 Whose behavior merited celebration?
 Mulan's, she saved China ;)

Day 02 Favorite Princess: Mulan. Technically she may not be a real princess, but she is a real heroine. With a good heart, incredible bravery, and cunning she is able to- protect his father, bring honor to her family AND SAVE CHINA! Talk about badass am i right? She grew to be the most beautiful flower of all. (And no I am not biased bec I am Asian...maybe just a little)

 Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
 Those who think being an American means throwing mass temper tantrums in the streets is a show of patriotism when they don't get what they think they want from a government they don't begin understand.

 Where did most of your money go?
I don't think I spent very much in the past year, it was probably equally dispersed between book sales, thrifting, and yarn.

 What did you get really, really excited about?
My trip to New York and my eventual return home.

 Free printable Mother's Day sign | CatchMyParty.com
 Compared to last year, are you:
happier or sadder? I'd like to think I'm happier :)
thinner or fatter? More or less the same.
richer or poorer? Richer in love, poorer in fears.

What do you wish you'd done more of? 
Reading and blogging, but we shall change that this year!

What do you wish you'd done less of? 
Asking "what if?", procrastinating, doubting.

"To thine own self be true." | "Hamlet" | 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general conference #shakespeare #lds #quotes

What was your greatest musical discovery?
 Spotify.  Where was this incredibly helpful convenience when I was planning a wedding two years ago?!?

 How did you spend Christmas?
 As stated above, with my family.

 How are you spending New Year's?
 Same as Christmas :)

 Who did you spend the most time on your phone with?
 My most special friend!
Another Summer read. 
 What was the best book you read?
 Hmm...probably The Great Gatsby.  I'll tell you what my least favorite was and about all the books I read last year in my next post.

 Did you fall in love in 2017?
 Oh, wouldn't you like to know?

Everyone remembers those seagulls from Finding Nemo, not by their significance but by "mine! Mine! Mine!"<<< I know 

 What was your favorite TV show?
 I don't really watch a lot of TV shows, especially not current stuff, but as an enduring favorite I'd have to say JAG. (Which I got all ten seasons of for Christmas, eeek!)

JAG - fun show but funny how almost every finale had Rabb crashing a plane in some remote area over seas. Oh no! Is he gonna make it this time? Cliffhanger! 

 What were your favorite films of the year?
 That would be I am David,  A Walk to Remember, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and The Zookeeper's Wife.  I think the latter is my top favorite, plus it's also the only one that was "new" as of 2017.

 THE ZOOKEEPER'S WIFE (2017): The Zookeeper's Wife tells the account of keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, Antonina and Jan Zabinski, who helped save hundreds of people and animals during the Nazi invasion.

 What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
 I turned 17 and my wonderful brother-in-law got me a pinata!

 How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?

 http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/164887750/tidy-hair-was-all-my-ambition-print-12-x?ref=shop_home_active http://society6.com/britishindie/Tidy...
  And some days, not even that was achieved!
What kept you sane?
 Journaling everything.  Thoughts, joys, the things I did, and what made me sad or especially happy.

 Which celebrity/public figure did you admire most?
 
Jacob Rees-Mogg, a British politician who speaks the truth unabashed and defends it with dignity.

 Who did you miss?
 My family and friends at home while I was in NY, and my family in NY when I was home again.

 Who was the best person you met?
 Two new friends-one older than I,  the other younger-but both very dear.

 Tell a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017. 
"It could always be worse; this too shall pass." ;)

Five personally significant events of 2017:
  • Becoming an Auntie.
  • Learning to drive.
  • Participating in NaNoWriMo.
  • Entering my Senior Year.
  • Developing my skills.
 Five things I want to do in 2018:
  •  Continue developing my skills and gain new ones.
  • Go on more adventures!
  • Turn 18!
  • Graduate!
  • Embrace all that life is and has the potential to become.
 People I'd like to know better in 2018:
My grandfather.

 motivation, inspiration, quotes, home decor

Thank you again, Abby, for the inspiration and very good questions!  Be sure to pay a visit to her beautiful blog, Lavendar Spring.  

And of course, I fully intend to blog more frequently in 2018 (distant laughter), so you shall be hearing from me yet again before too long.  

Until then, tallyho, my dearies!

Always,

~Emma

2 comments:

  1. Your niece is SO CUTE AND ADORABLES!!!

    My prayer life wasn't that strong either this year...something I totally plan to fix in 2018!!!

    Ah yessssss SPOTIFY...I'm obsessed too.

    Rogue One is one of my favorites too!!

    I loved reading your tag, Emma!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw!! Anastasia is sooooo cute!!! You are such a lucky auntie!!

    I enjoyed this, Emma! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! You're not thinking of leaving a comment, are you? Oh, I would be simply thrilled if you would!