Monday, August 14, 2017

Of birthdays, injuries, and exciting finds

     
No, in case you were wondering based on the title of this post, today is not my birthday.  However it was in fact last Tuesday, therefore making this a continuation of  birthday week until midnight and hence I can still write this post within a reasonable passage of time.  So there.

Image result for and it's kind of my birthday tangled 
(Say what you will, this is one of my favorite lines of the whole movie) 
  
I turned old this year.  Actually, I've turned old every year for as long as I can remember.  For some reason I am always surprised at the amount of people who, when asking my age, don't understand what I mean when I say I'm "as old as the year".  I mean, is that such a weird simile to use that no one but myself understands it?  I understand me.  Do you understand me?  Does anyone understand me?!?!  Probably not, so we'll move on.

Do you know what my dear brother, sister, and brother-in-law surprised me with this year?  A pinata, they got me a pinata!  And not only that, they filled it with an absurd amount of skittles, because clearly they love me very much.  So I was taken outside, blindfolded, spun (which I could've done without), handed a sharp, pokey stick, and told to have at it.  Oh, it was great fun!  I do so love surprises! 
The Pinata at the Hospital
Once the poor donkey was brutally beaten and decapitated, of course Emma, in all her natural grace and dignity, proceeded to-(remember that sharp pokey stick?)-well she stepped on it.  Really stepped on it.  Without shoes.  That is not something I'd recommend any of you doing.  You see, limping around on a bandaged foot for a day and a half causes a lot of pressure on the opposite ankle, thus creating-in the words of my Pepere-"a hitch in your get-along", which then of course inevitably leads to a knot in your upper back.  Moral of the story?  Do not step on sharp pokey sticks. 

Okay, so that was my birthday! (Which really truly was fantastic despite.)  Come Thursday I hadn't succumb to blood poison and it was also shopping day.  While wandering through Walmart trying to find, of all things, a pair of scissors, I stumbled across a super exciting (exciting for me, anyways) something in the clearance aisle!  (Seriously though, you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find the right kind of paper shears with all the mounds of school supplies they have in that horrible gigantic place.)


I found a big box of my favorite brand of yarn at a great discount on one of the clearance shelves!  This brand is usually pretty pricey so if I knew I needed it for a project I'd hoard my Michael's coupons and buy it there.  (Have I mentioned my love of that store before?  It is my favorite, before I went to  New York I was practically on a first name basis over there ;) )


 The pictures doesn't quite do the color justice but the finished product comes out looking sort of like a stained glass window.  Really pretty, anyway!  I'm going to use these skeins to make a bunch of "slouchy" hats for upcoming craft fairs and my new Etsy shop!  (More on that soon)

Finally in closing, I thought you'd like to know that I have checked a few items off of my list of summer ambitions.  I'll try and get a post up about that soon so you can see what mischief I've been up to!

Always, 

~Emma



 

13 comments:

  1. *makes mental note not to step on pointy sticks*

    LOL, sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!

    And discounted yarn?! That is super awesome!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, discounted yarn sure can brighten ones day!

      ~Emma

      Delete
  2. Ouch! Wow, that would really hurt. I'm feeling for ya'.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! I think I knw what you mean by saying your as old as the year. You aren't crazy. ;)

    Oh! Pretty yarn!!! Be sure to show us the finished project!!

    (Don't forget to tell us about your Etsy store!)

    MovieCritit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!!!! I'm glad you don't think I'm crazy but I am still pretty sure that I am ;)

      Yes, I will be sure to let you in on all my projects, including my Etsy shop!

      ~Emma

      Delete
  3. Happy (belated) Birthday!
    Oh and when you say you're as old as the year mean you were born in 2000 and now you're 17 because it's 2017? Did I explain that right? ;)

    ~Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it, Sylvia! I'm glad you understand my conundrum ;)

      ~Emma

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday!! We can celebrate all month, right?! ;) You're not crazy! I say the same thing about my sister. It's so nice and not confusing. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got what you meant by saying you were as old as the year! That means you are now 17 because the year is 2017. :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMA! Sounds like you had a fun day. (Minus the pointy stick accident, of course. I do hope your foot is feeling better now.) That was so sweet of your sister and brother-in-law to get you a piñata! :D

    And yay for discounted yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you all understand me so well!
      And THANK YOU!!!! My foot is much recovered, no need for concern :)

      ~Emma

      Delete
  6. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing
    these kinds of things, so I am going to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! You're not thinking of leaving a comment, are you? Oh, I would be simply thrilled if you would!